Monday, January 21, 2013

Phones as uniquitous computers


For years, cell phones have suffered from square-minded design, by the same '70s and '80s engineers who deemed them as communication "terminals". I was outraged when I saw a little piece of shit that could not do anything more than letting you speak and send SMS priced the same as a full-geared laptop, which enabled you not only that but the full potential to create and transmit whatever you wanted. In that regard I am of the same opinion than Steve Jobs, who I despise as a person, but that quite ofter was right about many things. In particular, he said something like "I hated my cell phone, I could do nothing with it, it was completely dumb". The closed-down mentality of the engineers at Nokia, Motorola, Alcatel... ancient companies which didn't know how to adapt to the 21st century, and forced an incredibly huge market such as the cell phone market to a 10-year delay.

I am quite happy to see that Android has liberated the market to almost any participant (after the iPhone's vision liberated the old-fashioned mentality). I can purchase an Android phone for as low as GBP110 and do the same office tasks that I would do with a laptop.

Welcome to the 21st century, cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment