Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Python IDE: Spyder

I've been working with the Spyder IDE for Python. It is time I share my impressions.

First of all, it is a very strange feeling what you get when working with the IDE. In fact, it is the same feeling (but even more exaggerated) than you get with R Studio (in the case of programming for R). I feel like there is a force that prevents me from doing my work. In this regard, Spyder looks more like R Studio than to Matlab (a resemblance this last one that is the developers' motto).


I reckon that the IDE surpasses every other IDE that I've tried out so far, but there is still this unavoidable feeling. I think part of it comes from the fact that when you are executing part of the code just to see if it really does what it is intended for, it leaves the windows focus at the command line panel, and there is no keyboard combination to make it go back to the current file that is in edition. It is also possible that I am using Ubuntu and this software is more ready for KDE since it uses the Qt libraries.

On the other hand, you have the handy feature of integration with pdb, the Python debugger, showing variables of the current scope, an online help which shows documentation for any loaded name.

A fine IDE but that still needs maturing a little bit.

spyder-ide.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?
    Surya Informatics

    ReplyDelete